It’s a slightly unnatural thing to have a pool floating on a yacht. But the largest private luxury yachts have all the size and the space, so why not? Why not be able to swim in fresh water on the aft deck and laze around the pool when on holiday? Here, we have a look at a selection of some of the biggest and best superyacht pools known.
“Expedition Yacht Luna on the other hand gets full marks for size…”
No longer content with just a humble hot tub, superyacht designers and owners are venturing for even bigger and more sophisticated swimming pools. As superyachts grow in size and volume so do stunning private pools, many of which are located on main decks as well as fore decks. At night these spectacular pools are lit up by underwater lighting providing a mesmerizing effect.
Yacht ESTER III – Swimming Pool – Photo by Guillaume Plisson
From 5m long counter-flow sunken swimming pools to 12m custom infinity pools lined with mosaic tiles, surrounded by luxurious cushions and sun pads, there are different styles of pools for guests to enjoy. Some superyacht infinity pools have artificial counter-current and full dive stations which drop off directly into the ocean, awesome.
1. Motor yacht QUATTROELLE doesn’t have the largest pool in the superyacht world however it is impressive none the less. One reason is that it’s positioned way up on the 3rd deck. This makes for fantastic views and full sun. The pool area is also beautifully styled. A striking pool like this comes at a cost in terms of stability, so the pool cant be huge. Obviously the water needs to be drained when the yacht is making passage, as can be seen below. There aren’t many infinity pools on the top deck so QUATTROELLE gets full marks for interest and innovation.
Superyacht QUATTROELLE Aft Deck Pool
Quattroelle the yacht pool
Yacht QUATTROELLE upper deck pool
2. The Expedition Yacht Luna on the other hand gets full marks for size. She has a huge aft deck and a huge swimming pool. Few other superyachts have dedicated so much space to sun worshiping. Luna’s long, elegant, trail away deck offers a vast pool, one of the best found on a superyacht. There’s also a huge decking area for sitting and soaking up the sun, just what’s needed to recharge your batteries. Other features include 10 VIP guest cabins each of which is over 100 square metres, a 20 metre outdoor swimming pool, nine decks and a large outdoor entertaining area.
Luna has a vast pool and sunning area
3. One of the earlier very large yachts, Octopus is a 414 foot (126m) superyacht and one of the largest and most recognizable vessels in the world. The Octopus has a glass bottomed swimming pool located in one of its upper decks, ideal to relax in and have a refreshing swim. The yacht’s higher decks rap around the pool leaving a direct line to the sun, or the stars. This beautiful vessel also has many other major features like a cinema, a music recording studio, a hangar for two helicopters and even a ten person submarine. There’s also an owner’s exclusive deck with a walk-in closet, study, outside bar and a whirlpool.
Yacht Octopus aft deck and pool
4. The Serene superyacht is a yachting masterpiece with an internal seawater swimming pool (length 15 metres), a hot and cold Jacuzzi plus a jet stream swimming pool on the sundeck, what a choice! In addition to these pools the vessel also has a helicopter hangar, two helipads and a submarine hangar. There’s even underwater viewing space for the 24 guests on board who are well accommodated in the spectacular 12 luxurious state rooms.
Serene at anchor
5. The Lürssen yacht TV launched in 2008 is a 257-foot (78.3 metre) high volume luxury superyacht is owned by Mexican businessman Emilio Azcárraga Jean. Its sundeck area features a large, stunning spa pool with a capacity for 16 persons and a wonderful contra-flow swimming pool with a 20m water slide. There’s also a bar, barbecue and dining area on the vessel’s sundeck. The lower deck includes an amazing gymnasium, sauna, massage and beauty rooms, everything you need for a relaxing vacation.
Superyacht TV – The Sundeck Spa Pool
6. The spectacular superyacht Ester III has a huge swimming pool. Located on the aft deck it spans two levels with a shallow end and a swim-up seat. Surrounded by sun pads this is one of the best superyacht swimming pools around. It’s perfect for mom and dad to soak up the sun while keeping a watchful eye on the kids as they play and swim in the pool. The water forms a waterfall down the front of the transom, running into teak grates below. It’s no wonder the Ester III was a real eye-catcher at the Monaco Yacht Show.
Yacht Ester has a pool
7. Now a common feature on mega yacht designs, the 269-foot (82-metre) Oceanco superyacht Alfa Nero was one of the first to have a large pool with glass window aft. One of the vessel’s most striking features is her aft deck with its unusually large swimming pool, complete with glass waterfall siding that converts to a helipad. The Oceanco boasts one of the world’s modern superyacht infinity pool innovations, 12 x 38 foot (3.7m x 11.6m). Through a hydraulic system this can be transformed into a dance floor or a helipad – wow!
Alfa Nero was early to have a very large swimming pool on her aft deck.
Alfa Nero Underway
8. The all conquering megayacht Eclipse is a 557 foot luxury yacht has two swimming pools one of which is a spectacular 15m swimming pool featuring a bottom that can be raised to create a paddling pool. After a day of swimming and frolicking in the pool, this innovative feature can be lifted to turn the area into a dance floor. The Eclipse also has a sauna, cinema, mini submarine, 30 luxurious cabins, two helicopter pads including plenty of high-tech gadgetry.
The Yacht Eclipse by night
9. Superyacht PEGASUS V. Another well know yacht, she provides guests with a variety of outside space and a decent sized pool to match. One of the most impressive features on board yacht PEGASUS VIII is the Beach Club (see photo below). This is a dry dock for the custom built tender which disembarks guests directly inside the yacht which can be “flooded” when the tender is outside and forms a 12 metre swimming pool with underwater lighting and steps.
Superyacht PEGASUS V (ex PRINCESS MARIANA) – Swimming Pool
Motor Yacht PRINCESS MARIANA
10. NOMAD. Once again, this yacht was early to have a very large pool and outside lifestyle area and many designs have taken up this successful concept over the last 10 years. The sun deck features a spa pool and swimming pool, where you can swim up to the bar, and sunbathing mattresses on each side as well as a fantastic Barbecue area.
Yacht NOMAD – Sundeck Pool
11. Solandge is an 85m luxury yacht which was designed by Espen Oeino to offer many places for her guests to socialise or relax in privacy. Each deck has its own distinctive function with all the necessary furniture and amenities, such as built-in bars, buffets, dining areas, a pool and two hot tubs. There is a fantastic exterior cinema and a nightclub with a DJ station on the top deck. There is also an indoor/outdoor gymnasium.
The Yacht Solandge superyacht pool and aft deck
Another View of the Solandge pool
Luxury yacht Solandge – Pool bridge deck – Photo by Klaus Jordan
12. IRIMARI – 63m motor yacht IRIMARI is a spectacular vessel, built by the Turkish shipyard Sunrise Yachts, with naval architecture by Unique Yacht Design. Designed by respected Espen Oeino, IRIMARI superyacht boasts beautiful interior by renowned German studio Focus Yacht Design. Top deck pool pictured below.
IRIMARI Pool and Bar
13. Superyacht Galactica Star has won awards and heart a plenty. The 65m Heesen superyacht Galactica Star is a Fast Displacement (FDHF) superyacht as designed by Van Oossanen and Heesen Yachts Naval Architects. The yacht’s Galactica Star’s exterior is designed by Omega Architects and they have done magical things with her aft deck pool.
Galactica Super Nova Pool Area
Please get in touch with CharterWorld, the superyacht charter experts, to let us know your preferences for exterior decks and yacht pools for your next yacht charter.