Pendennis and Devonport continue to thrive with an increasing number of enquiries for refits at the joint facilities in Falmouth. Pendennis boasts 20+ years experience and over 150 refit projects in the portfolio, and along with Devonport’s expertise in the 60m+ market, the companies have joined forces to expand the offering at Pendennis’ base in the UK. As such they are co-exhibiting at the 2011 Antibes Yacht Show that runs from the 7th-10th April, during which a dedicated team will be on hand to discuss all refit needs.
Pendennis has invested in the development of the world-class facilities as well as their personnel in Falmouth over the years. The six in-house trades are enhanced by the company’s award-winning apprenticeship scheme, ensuring a continuous workforce that is fully trained and highly skilled in all aspects of superyacht building and refit.
As well as investment in people the continual development of the facilities they have provided a great service to the growing superyacht fleet. In the past couple of years Pendennis has expanded their environmentally controlled dry dock facilities. The state-of-the-art refit complex which was opened in the spring of 2005 was designed to provide the perfect conditions for refitting sailing yachts and motor yachts. There are two 75m x 24m wide dry docks (or one 150m x 24m). ‘The White House’ measuring 55m (L) x 17m (H) x 16m (W) is a relatively new steel framed space perfect for the outfit of new construction projects or as an additional undercover refit space. These flexible and more spacious facilities, in addition to the Main Hall (at 70m long x 40m wide), have increased Pendennis’ capabilities allowing a total of six yachts to be in the yard currently undergoing refit/completion works.
Pendennis is grateful for the support of investment from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and European Social Fund (ESF) Convergence throughout this programme of expansion. Convergence supports local companies by providing regional investment aimed at increasing job opportunities through business growth and development in Cornwall. “Pendennis is a valuable component of Cornish industry and the growth of the company over the past 20 years has led to its status as one of the key employers in the region.” expressed Carleen Kelemen, Director of the Convergence Partnership Office for Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.
- In Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly the Convergence programmes are made up of European Regional Development Fund (£374 million) and European Social Fund (£153 million) and will run until 2013.
- The ERDF Programme investment is intended to boost the region’s economy by providing focussed support for business creating better quality, higher paid jobs. This support includes training and access to higher education, strengthening links between academia and business, improved IT infrastructure, additional high quality workspace and specialist support to boost business productivity.
- The ESF Operational Programme is targeted at tackling barriers to work, improving workforce skills and research and graduate activity. It is being delivered primarily through co financing via the Skills Funding Agency and Jobcentre Plus as well as direct investment such as Unlocking Cornish Potential.
Pendennis and Devonport
Devonport relocated its facilities to Pendennis Shipyard in February 2010. Whilst the current new build Project 55 is being completed at the company’s previous facilities in Plymouth, all future new build and refit projects will be undertaken at the Pendennis facilities in Falmouth.
Pendennis has one of the world’s leading custom superyacht build and refit facilities. Building on hundreds of years of local maritime heritage, Pendennis has become one of Cornwall’s most important employers – with 350 highly skilled trades people based at their 6.5 acre prime water front location in Falmouth, UK. The current projects are:
- New builds Pendennis – Barracuda Yacht Design 105 Sloop Sailing yacht Akalam
- New builds Devonport – 96m motor yacht Project 55
- Pendennis Refits – Classic Sailing Schooner Adela, Superyacht Andromda La Dea, MY Dardanella, Yacht Audacia, 42m Feadship
- Pendennis Completion – 44m catamaran Sailing Yacht HEMISPHERE
- Recent deliveries – Ron Holland 150’ S/Y Christopher