The Brigantino S. Giorgio an historic Benetti Sailing Ship measures 51 metres and was built entirely in wood in 1921 at the Benetti shipyard in Viareggio. At the time, she was the largest brigantine on the Mediterranean. Every visitor who has entered the halls of the Science and Technology Museum in Milan over the past forty years has been amazed to see the huge Ebe ship, a historic Benetti sailing ship which represents a piece of history of Italian shipyards.
Lodged in the suggestive Naval-Air pavilion since 1964, it represents one of the main pillars of the “Leonardo da Vinci” Museum for a great number of guests who can admire its beauty.
Brigantino S. Giorgio 51 metres long, built entirely in wood in 1921 at the Benetti Shipyard in Viareggio was the largest brigantine on the Mediterranean at the time. It reached Milan after having transported goods for decades on the Mediterranean Sea. When the 2nd World War broke out, it was commandeered by the Italian Navy, and in 1952 it became a school-ship for coxswain cadets of the Navy, taking on the name of Ebe School ship. On this occasion, the old hold was restructured and turned into a room for the new auxiliary engine.
The ship was disarmed in 1958 in La Spezia and then divided into 90 pieces and transported to the Science Museum in Milan, needing 25 lorries. Here it was put back together and put on display at the Naval-Air Pavilion. It is one of the largest sailing ships preserved inside of a museum.