The Island Sailing Club (ISC) and J.P. Morgan Asset Management are busy putting together their plans to most fittingly commemorate the 80th Anniversary of the famous Round the Island Race in 2011, being held on Saturday 25th June.
• 80th Anniversary Race. Calling previous winners and past competitors!
• Entries open for epic Race – date announced
• 2011 Race website goes live 21st January
• Race Partners secure for 2011 & 2012
Everyone involved in hosting the Race is gearing up to make this 80th Anniversary event a truly memorable occasion for all involved. Much of the promotional activity for the 2011 Race will focus on competitor stories, anecdotes and images from each of the past eight decades with more plans to be announced in the New Year.
To mark this historic milestone, organisers are calling on all former Gold Roman Bowl winners, competitors and spectators to submit their Race memories. This could be a particularly amusing or nail biting moment, a beautiful photograph, video footage or the tale of a personal triumph. There’s one free entry available for the best image
The Club is offering one free entry into the 2011 Race for a favourite image, whilst a bottle of Old Pulteney Single Malt Scotch Whisky is on offer to the entrant with the best race anecdote. The winners will be selected by a panel including the Club’s Admiral, Robin Aisher, himself a Gold Roman Bowl winner in 1985 aboard Yeoman XXV. The chosen image will be used in part of the 80th year celebrations and Robin Aisher supports this rally cry wholeheartedly, commenting: “This Race has produced some truly iconic imagery over the years and we are hoping to unearth a real gem.”
The closing date for submissions is 28th February 2011.
2011 Race website and entries open
Coinciding with the launch of the 2011 Race website and the 80th Anniversary logo, the Online entries for the 80th Anniversary Race will open on Friday 21st January 2011 and the Notice of Race will also be published online.
Race Partners secure until 2012
The Island Sailing Club is delighted that seven Race Partners – comprising some of the best-known brands in their individual markets – have already signed up for the 80th Anniversary year and committed right through to incorporate the 2012 Race.
Britannia Corporate Events
Old Pulteney Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Volvo Car UK
Britannia Corporate Events is delighted to be supporting the race again as the official yacht charter and corporate hospitality partner. With over 20 years’ experience in the sailing industry, the company produces tailor-made packages to suit its client requirements. “Whether the event is a 70-boat regatta, a hospitality/spectating package or a single-boat staff motivation weekend, the aim is to make every event a success from start to finish and to provide the ultimate sailing event experience. We will also shortly be announcing a new initiative early in the New Year that we’re rolling out for next year’s Race,” says Simon Boulding, Britannia Corporate Events Limited.
On pledging their continued support for the Race, the General Manager of Haven Knox-Johnston, John Macaulay, said, “Haven Knox-Johnston is once again delighted to be part of the J.P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race, especially as it enters its 80th year. This spectacular race identifies the very best performers across a broad range of yachtsmen and, as a trusted authority in boat insurance, we aim to continually achieve new standards and provide unprecedented levels of service to our policyholders. We are therefore pleased to be able to support all our clients taking part in this historic race by extending cover to each of them at no extra costs, and wish all the contestants a truly memorable day.”
Nautica Watches is also back on board. Dan Calvert, UK Marketing Manager, said, “With our long-standing involvement internationally in sailing sponsorship and timing, it gives us great pleasure in announcing our 5th consecutive year as a sponsor of this unique event. Our passion drives us to create beautifully crafted sport timepieces for men and women, balancing style, precision and performance to help ‘Navigate Life’™.”
Old Pulteney Single Malt Whisky has an incredible maritime heritage and as a keen supporter of UK yacht racing and sailing is delighted to continue as a race partner in its 80th year. Margaret Mary Clarke, Senior Brand Manager, says that they will be congratulating race winners with a bottle each of our 12 year-old single malt at the prize giving and encourages everyone to join them at one of their tasting sessions over the weekend to relax over a delicious dram.
Raymarine, the world-leading marine electronics manufacturing company and the first of the Race Partners to re-sign, is delighted to continue its support of the J.P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race in its 80th Anniversary year. Sarah Brooke, UK Sales and Marketing Executive has revealed that Raymarine’s renowned pre-race weather briefing at the Island Sailing Club, which attracts hundreds of competitors, will be hosted on June 24th 2011 by RYA meteorologist Libby Greenhalgh.
Red Funnel Ferries is also celebrating 150 years serving the Isle of Wight in 2011 and is delighted to be continuing its support as a Race Partner. As an integrated travel and leisure company offering ferry services to the heart of Cowes, an extensive range of accommodation and more, the company is dedicated to promoting the Isle of Wight and this world class event. “We look forward to welcoming visitors to the Island for the 2011 Race,” says Jonathan Green, Sales and Marketing Director, Red Funnel Ferries.
Duncan Forrester, Head of Public Relations, Events & Sponsorship, Volvo Car UK, comments on the synergy between the Race and this brand, commenting that “Volvo has become synonymous with sailing sponsorship in the UK and is proud to be associated with the J.P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race, the fourth largest annual participation sporting event in the UK. We believe sailing’s inherent use of natural resources fits perfectly with Volvo’s environmental values.”
About the J.P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race.
- The Island Sailing Club is grateful for the continued support of the Race Title Sponsor, J.P. Morgan Asset Management, and the Race Partners: Britannia Events, Haven Knox-Johnston, Nautica Watches, Old Pulteney Whisky, Raymarine, Red Funnel and Volvo Car UK
- The 2011 Event, being held on 25th June, will be J.P. Morgan Asset Management’s 7th year as title sponsor and they retain title sponsorship up to and including 2012
- The Round the Island Race was first established in 1931 – 2011 marks the 80th year of this great race
- The Race starts and finishes in Cowes, Isle of Wight, the centre of British yachting
- It is an all-encompassing event that caters for and embraces first timers, families, amateurs and professionals competing at the highest level. The event strapline is ‘Britain’s Favourite Yacht Race’
- The J.P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race is the 4th largest participation sporting event in the UK after the London Marathon and the Great North and South Runs, with around 16,000 sailors taking part over the course of one day
- 2010’s Race had 1,754 entries and 1,607 finished the Race. This is the highest ever recorded number of finishers in the history of the Race. There were 47 retirements and 16 disqualifications/OCS (On the Course Side of the starting line)
- £100,000 was raised for charities in 2010
- Nautica Watches continues to sponsor the Outstanding Seamanship Award. Contact: Dan Calvert, UK Marketing Manager. T +44 208 326 6900
- The current monohull race record was set by Mike Slade (ICAP Leopard) in 2008 at 3.53.05
- The multihull race record still stands at Francis Joyon’s 2001 time of 3.08.29