A Helicopter deck on a private yacht can be a thing of beauty. The best designers incorporate them integrally into the yacht’s theme. Additionally, many of them have a dual purpose or even more than two uses. Some double as a disco dance floor and others become a golf tee, outside movie theater or an alfresco dining area. Lets have a look at some of them.
As the old saying goes, time is money. One of the quickest ways to board a superyacht is surely by helicopter. For many prestigious luxury yacht owners, their very own helicopter deck is an important feature to have. Helicopter decks make it so much easier to board and exit a superyacht, what’s more it makes an impressive sight for onlookers and fellow superyacht enthusiasts. Here are six hot luxury yachts that have helicopter decks.
Image Gallery of SuperYacht Helicopter Pads
1. Stella Maris – yacht designer Espen Øino redefined the typically utilitarian helicopter deck on VSY’s revolutionary 72 m superyacht Stella Maris. He envisaged a superyacht helipad that was a focal point. Rather than trying to disguise the helicopter deck it defines the exterior on the Stella Maris by jutting out on the upper aft deck. When not welcoming helicopters, the huge deck is put to good use as space for sunbathing and socializing.
2. Lady Christine – there are a myriad of superyacht helicopter pad solutions, from touch-and-go, helipads, to full decks and hangars. The helipad on the 68 m Feadship motor yacht, Lady Christine, was specially designed for full helicopter operations. It also has the capacity of helicopter refueling onboard – now that’s what you call forward planning!
3. Eclipse – as the second largest luxury superyacht in the world, the amazing 162.5 m Blohm & Voss Eclipse has plenty of room for a helicopter to land. Helicopter touch-down can be carried out on the helideck located on the superyacht’s bow. Eclipse’s helicopter tucks away in a hangar before the foredeck in a specially designed heli-garage – how awesome!
4. Akula – a converted 59 m former Dutch navy vessel, the Akula was designed specifically for her helicopter pilot owner. Later a superyacht helicopter deck and hangar were added. Akula’s helicopter is put to good use when luxury charter yacht clients enjoy extensive heli-cruising around the Canadian Arctic region. Just what superyacht charter clients need, a quick entry and exit point.
5. Northern Star – the stylish Northern Star has an exterior designed by Espen Øino with an aft upper deck superyacht helipad arrangement. One thing’s for sure, being helicopter-capable compliments the Northern Star’s other world-roaming assets. These include an ice-classed hull and massive 7,000 nautical mile range, ideal for exploring the ocean.
6. Umbra – in a recent refit in 2014, the Damen-built sea axe vessel, the Umbra, gained a removable helicopter deck. The octagonal superyacht helipad can disappear when not in use and be deployed when needed. Hot helicopter decks on luxury yachts are big and bold on the bow or blend seamlessly with outdoor spaces on the sundeck. It’s no surprise that the Umbra’s helicopter deck is one of the vessel’s major attractions.