What makes a superior aft deck?
To an extent, the response to this question is personal to each individual who answers. The aft deck is perhaps the most important location on a yacht, whether it is a private or charter yacht. One of it’s core roles is the social interface between the outside ocean world and the yacht’s interior. The aft deck is certainly prime real estate in luxury yacht terms, however there are many different design responses attempting to achieve the ultimate. Lets have a look at a selection of them.
Sleek and sexy performance sailing yachts naturally have a beamy layout for spacious aft decks, whilst large motor yachts are designed specifically with social areas and aft decks in mind and they often have multiple decks available. Aft decks provide space for al fresco dining, relaxing on and enjoying cocktails at sunset. They provide access to the water for swimming or boarding the tender and they present a first impression to visitors when the yacht is at anchor.
“One of it’s core roles is the social interface between the outside ocean world and the yacht’s interior. The aft deck is certainly prime real estate..”
Some of the top 10 best aft decks on luxury yachts are quite unique in appearance and styling. With comfortable couches and large tables, they offer the best place on board a luxury superyacht to chill out with friends or family.
Below is a personal selection of the top ten vessels that have glorious and amazing aft decks:
1. Quatroelle – the 88m Quatroelle is all about massive exterior aft decks where guests can feel the breeze while watching the sun rise and set. Clever touches include technical marvels, a section of the big stern platform lowers into the sea. The yacht also has exterior stairs on all of its five decks for easy access to cabins. After a day in the sun, there’s nothing better than cooling off in the bridge deck infinity pool.
2. Indian Empress – this superyacht is famous for starry parties on her sprawling aft deck. There are flowing rounds of seating, a marble bar, plenty of space to dance the night away. Dance to music provided by a professional DJ positioned on the sun deck above. The Indian Empress is very popular with people from around the world and makes an excellent charter yacht. The upper aft deck table alone can seat about 30 guests. Hold a party and you’ll essentially be running a nightclub.
3. Alfa Nero – the Alfa Nero has one of the best aft decks you can find on a luxury yacht. This trail blazer of a superyacht has an awesome eye-catching aft deck that looks cool and trendy. The floor of the 7 x 3.5 metre pool lifts hydraulically to deck level and turns the aft deck into a dance floor or helipad. You’ll just have to remember if you’re choppering your guests home at midnight or inviting them to stay on for a late night swim. As well as the aft deck, there’s a club-like upper salon.
4. Maryah – everyone likes a good mystery. The Maryah is ultra-private but what we do know about her is quite fascinating. The hull began life as a Russian research vessel launched by the Polish Szczecinska Yard in 1990. After the rebuild this superyacht had sweeping curves, accommodation for 54 guests, a cinema and a helipad. Included in the design were three aft decks, a sun deck, a beach club and a profusion of fold-down terraces.
5. Luna – her main aft deck is vast, about one third of the yacht’s overall length. When the weather cools, the massive beach club provides a chic shelter with an on-deck feeling. Other explorer yachts look quite dull in comparison to the Luna. The huge aft deck is the perfect area for a cocktail party or any other special occasion like al fresco dining by candlelight.
6. Zefira – winner of the Sailing Yacht of the Year Award in 2011’s superyacht awards, the Zefira is ideal for loafing on deck during long, lazy yacht charter vacations with family and friends. She is big and sleek with long clean lines and uncluttered decks. The beautifully designed aft deck dovetails perfectly with the light and bright Remi Tessier interior design. Start your day with a delicious breakfast on the aft deck.
7. Ester III – this 66 m motor yacht’s interior spaces have been planned as carefully as the exterior. With protection from the sun, wind, rain and cold, the aft deck has a stunning bar up top including a large glass backed swimming pool. Relax on one of the sun beds during the day and then enjoy a tasty meal in the evening outdoors on the large aft deck that has been transformed into an exquisite dining area.
8. Invictus – the Invictus is all about volume. The beautifully designed, spacious water-level aft deck is made larger still by a vast, fold-out, bathing platform and behind it all, there’s a well-stocked bar. It’s no wonder that the aft deck is one of the most popular spots onboard. The garage beyond the aft deck can hold two 8.35 m tenders including a gorgeous Comitti.
9. Galactica Star – the sleek design and space is what’s so impressive on the superyacht, the Galactica Star. Access to the awesome aft deck is made easy thanks to two brilliantly lit stairways either side of the beach club. This is ideal for guests onboard. The water, either in the main deck pool or off the bathing platform, is never out of reach. Relax on one of the aft deck’s sun beds while watching the sun go down at anchor.
10. Axioma – is ideal for a superyacht holiday, perfect for outdoor living. The slightly different, yet attractive aft deck is supplemented with a bridge deck bar, spa pool and mouth-watering al fresco dining options. It’s a chilled out, private feeling aft deck, if you need any more sun this is the place to be. The swimming platform also transforms from the grand entrance into a sprawling space for sunbathing, just a few steps from the sea and the pool.
A design from GillSchmid that would be nice to see being launched one day: