Sauter Carbon Offset Design presents the DynaWing AC72 Schooner rigged Catamaran, the 34th America’s Cup Challenger that could prove to be faster and certainly less prone to capsize than the Oracle 22 meter Racing Cat with a 40 meter Wingsail.
The DynaWing AC72 America’s Cup yacht employs a Schooner rig featuring a hybrid Wingmast and mainsail combination that delivers a dynamic range of power options from a full array of sails with Wingsail emulated efficiency, to a gradual reduction of all sails culminating in Wingmast reefing.
The DynaWing AC72 catamaran adheres to the ruling design parameters of the AC72, the length, beam and a total sail area that includes a maximum of 2 wing segments.
DynaWing AC72 advantages when compared to the Oracle AC72 Wingsail Cat;
• Under full power the DynaWing’s rig at the much lower height of 32 meters has the same sail area as the 40 meter Wingsail rig, but with a greatly reduced heeling moment.
• The boom furling mainsails offer dynamic loading specifically aimed at tailoring the heeling moment when racing at high speeds in strong winds.
• With a 4:1 aspect ratio each hybrid Wingmast retains the same level of efficiency under full load as a single 40 meter Wingsail. However when overpowered the hybrid Wingmast can shed the load while arriving at still higher aspect ratios .
• Airflow through the full complement of Schooner sails can be further optimized via the adjustment of tandem hybrid Wingmasts.
• The longitudinal mass of the vessel has a better distributed lower center of gravity which reduces the risk of pitch polling.
• The AC72 DynaWing Schooner rig shown here weighs and costs about the same as the 40 meter Wingsail. As with all Schooner rigs there are variations to consider, however we see this design to be the simplest and most cost effective way of getting the power required.
• The DynaWing AC72 Schooner rig is easier to transport, easier to erect and can be reefed rather than dismantled when moored.
• The required technology employed in the design and construction of the DynaWing Schooner rig is readily available.
• The DynaWing AC72 Schooner rig is applicable and compatible with the existing AC72 sail options.
With the same total sail area, the DynaWing AC72 will perform as well as the Oracle AC72 in light winds, but will achieve higher speeds with a greater margin of safety when pushing hard in the strong winds that make ideal racing conditions for spectators.
Richard Sauter head of design commented “The DynaWing AC72 Schooner truly reflects the sailing legacy that laid the foundation the America’s Cup is built upon. Employing the DynaWing Schooner rig the existing AC72 is transformed into a viable ocean going design that has significant relevance to yachting and the world at large as she points to the fact that hi-performance sailing vessels are the ultimate Eco-friendly Carbon Free ride”
DynaWing AC72 Yacht Specifications:
Mast Height: 32m
Displacement: 5,700 –5,900kg
Sail area:2 Wingmasts 260 sqm total
Gennaker: 320 sqm+
Main & Gennaker: 580 sqm+
Superyacht News Related to "Sauter Carbon Offset Design DynaWing AC72 Schooner Catamaran – 34th America’s Cup"
- The Emax Deliverance motor yacht by Sauter Carbon Offset Design- A DynaWing Solar Hybrid Supertanker
- The 66m Emax E-Volution Solar Hybrid Schooner by Sauter Carbon Offset Design – The Fastest and Greenest Superyacht
- 43m eco-friendly catamaran yacht Formula Zero 43 by Sauter Carbon Offset Design
- Sauter Carbon Offset Design Introduces Superyacht Transcendence, the world’s first Zero Carbon Megayacht
- The Super Nova 60 m Superyacht by Sauter Carbon Offset Design – the Worlds First Carbon Neutral Megayacht