Nominations for this year’s International BoatBuilders’ Exhibition and Conference (IBEX) Innovation Awards are now open. The awards acknowledge the importance of technological advancement in the marine industry. All IBEX 2014 exhibitors are welcome to enter their new products in the competition. These will be judged by a panel of industry experts from Boating Writers International and presented during the Annual Industry Breakfast, which will take place at the Tampa Convention Center on Tuesday, September 30th from 7:30 – 9:30 am.
The awards honor achievement in product development in 13 areas of the marine industry, including boatbuilding methods and materials, inboard and outboard engines, hardware, interior parts and furnishings, OEM electronics, boatyard and dealer hardware and software, and safety equipment. Judges may also present an award to any entry that provides an environmental benefit to the marine industry. Deadline to enter is August 29, 2014.
“The Innovation Awards are one of the marine industry’s most prestigious honors, and we are thrilled to be working with Boating Writers International and this highly regarded panel of judges to give our exhibitors an opportunity to present their new products for the consideration for an Innovation Award,” said Anne Dunbar, IBEX Show Director. “We encourage all IBEX exhibitors with new products to submit an entry as winners will be recognized at the Industry Breakfast, displayed on Innovation Way on the show floor, and also promoted all year long.”
The panel of BWI judges for the 2014 IBEX Innovation Awards includes:
• Bill Bishop, writer for numerous publications including the popular The Marine Installers Rant online blog and formerly had a pre-boating career in industrial automation.
• Ben Ellison, editor of Panbo, the marine electronics hub on the web, his works can also be found in Power and Motoryacht magazine and Sail, along with Soundings, Passagemaker, and Yachts International.
• Brady Kay, editor for Pontoon & Deckboat magazine, as well as the editor for Houseboat magazine.
• Beth Leonard, Director of Technical Services for BoatU.S. and the editor of Seaworthy, the only marine publication dedicated exclusively to vessel seaworthiness and boating safety.
• Mark Masciarotte, principal of DSG Associates, a consultancy specializing in the construction of custom yachts and small commercial vessels.
• Awards Chair – Zuzana Prochazka, writer and photographer who freelances for a dozen boating magazines and websites including BoatU.S., SAIL, Sea, Yachtworld, Boats and others.
• Judy Waldman, President of JW Yachts, is a lifelong cruiser specializing in trawlers, long-range cruisers, and unique yachts. She writes of her journeys and reviews these boats in Yacht Forums and online blogs.
“BWI has put together a panel with exceptional technical expertise and the judges are excited to review the cutting-edge technologies and unique solutions that always rise to the surface at IBEX,” said writer and photographer Zuzana Prochazka, IBEX Innovation Awards Chair.
In addition to the IBEX Innovation Awards presentation at the Industry Breakfast, legendary basketball coach Bob Knight will present a motivational speech on “Winning” and Thom Dammrich, NMMA President will deliver the State of the Industry address. There will also be the presentation of the NMMA Hall of Fame Award, the Exhibitor Video Awards, and the Boating Industry Movers & Shakers Award.