The ten-strong fleet of racing yachts participating in the Clipper 11-12 Round the World Yacht Race went through another night of competitive racing. With just over 100 miles until race finish in Nova Scotia, the fleet continue to fight to win podium position as well as vital points.
“The fleet is locked in a closely fought tactical battle,” is how the skipper of the Welcome to Yorkshire entry described Race 12 from New York to Nova Scotia. The British entry is currently in third place, currently only one mile separates them and fourth place Singapore.
Gold Coast Australia continues to retain their lead after experiencing some near perfect sailing conditions by the northern part of Georges Bank, at the edge of the Atlantic continental shelf between Cape Cod and Nova Scotia, “At midnight the tide finally turned for us and our speed over ground increased to match that of the other yachts, catapulting us towards Browne’s Bank where we hope to gain another tidal advantage to help maintain our lead over the yachts to the west,” explains skipper, Richard Hewson.
All ten of the racing yachts are fiercely competing to make gains on each other. However, it hasn’t been perfect sailing for the whole fleet as variable wind conditions continue to frustrate New York and De Lage Landen, while Geraldton Western Australia has been experiencing frustrating counter currents hampering their speed and slowing down their progress.
The lead yachts are expected to cross the finish line within the next 12 hours from there the teams will motor to the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron, arriving at approximately 0800 local time (1100 GMT).
Superyacht News Related to "Clipper 11-12 Round the World Yacht Race: Race 12 – Day 4: A sprint for the finish line"
- Clipper 11-12 Round the World Yacht Race: Race 11 – Day 10: Ocean Sprint point won by Singapore
- Clipper 11-12 Round the World Yacht Race: Visit Finland first to begin the Race 11 Ocean Sprint
- Clipper 11-12 Round the World Yacht Race: Day 15 – New York wins Ocean Sprint
- Clipper 11-12 Round the World Yacht Race: Day 12 – Three teams start Ocean Sprint battle
- Clipper 11-12 Round the World Yacht Race: Day 14 – Half of the fleet completed the Ocean Sprint