Mount Gay Rum will be back to support Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week as the official ‘Regatta Rum’. Around 8,500 competitors sailing in nearly 1,000 boats and many more visitors will be able to enjoy ‘the rum that invented rum’ which has a heritage dating back to 1705.
Alvin Saal, Brand Manager for Mount Gay Rum, comments: “We are happy to be associated with one of the UK’s longest running and most successful sporting events as it is the ideal platform for us to promote the world’s oldest rum. Our connection with the sailing community has helped cement the brand’s position in the golden rum category and after a highly successful regatta as Supporting Sponsor last year, Mount Gay Rum’s status and popularity has increased even more.”
Mount Gay Eclipse and the premium Extra Old variants will be sampled at a variety of events and functions throughout the Week and the sailor’s favourite tipple will also be available in bars, yachts clubs and venues throughout the town. With its official Regatta Rum status, Mount Gay will also be supporting a number of special events and functions including the largest and oldest fleet racing in the regatta, the XOD Class who are celebrating their centenary and Toe in the Water, the event’s official charity.
One social function not to be missed will be the infamous Mount Gay Red Cap party on Wednesday 10th August. There will be a chance to gain one of the most cherished mementoes of any regatta – the coveted Mount Gay Red Cap! Tickets will sell out fast and will be available at the Mount Gay Rum Cocktail Bar on Town Quay, Cowes.
Mount Gay Rum:
• Mount Gay supports over 120 regattas worldwide.
• Mount Gay Rum is distributed in the UK by leading drinks distributor First Drinks Brands.
•Mount Gay Rum, the finest, oldest brand of rum in existence, has been produced in Barbados with passion and unparalleled excellence since 1703. Expertly fashioned from rich sugar cane and with the pristine, coral-filtered water native to the Island, Mount Gay Rum is a sumptuous, inimitable expression of the Barbadian art of living.
Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week – 6th-13th August 2011:
• Cowes Week is one of the longest running events in UK sporting history having first taken place in 1826.
• Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week is an inclusive, aspirational sailing regatta; the largest of its kind in the world.
• Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week attracts around 1,000 yachts in up to 40 classes, and 8,500 competitors ranging from weekend sailors through to Olympic medallists and World Champions.
• Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week has a lively festival atmosphere ashore with a broad range of social activities that provide an exciting and varied “après-sail” programme.
• Supporting Sponsors for Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week include: BOSS Watches, Gill, Liz Earle, Isle of Wight Council, Mount Gay, Piper-Heidsieck, Sperry Top-Sider, Talisker, and Wightcable.